Thursday, April 15, 2010

Strangest Cake Ever!!!!!!!!!

A couple of days ago I was on my favorite Blog - The Pioneer Woman.  Every so often she takes a random recipe off her Tasty Kitchen site (where ppl can post their recipes and you can search for darn near any kind of recipe you can think of).  Well this weeks recipes was different, and I really mean different. I have heard of people making cupcakes and putting bacon in them, I have heard of having bacon in cookies or frostings...I think that is strange....but this....well you be the judge.

Here are the ingredients.....now close your eyes if you don't want me spoil this!! lol


Did you take a double take???? You saw right TOMATO SOUP!!!! How can tomato soup be part of a cake recipe???  (actually it took 2 cans, I just didn't post both on the picture)  To me the other strange thing about this cake was there are no eggs, butter or hardly any Oil in it. I thought for sure it was going to be dry, but The Pioneer Woman assured me that it was moist and delicious.

Basically the recipe by - Tanya Hollis (she was the one that posted the recipe that the pioneer woman tested!)  is:

4Tb Shortening
2 cups Sugar
2 cans campbells tomato soup (10.75 oz)
2 ts. baking soda
3 cups flour
2 ts. cinnamon
2 ts. nutmeg
1/2 ts. ground cloves

Mix up the shortening and sugar until creamy. In a separate bowl mix the baking soda and tomato soup (it will get foamy from reacting with the baking soda and acid in the tomatoes) Mix that mixture into the sugar mixture. Then add the remaining ingredients in this order. Pour into a well sprayed bundt pan or tube pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 mins.  Cool


Bake it at 350 for about 55 mins, turn over onto pan and cool completely and you will have this....


Then I took that bad boy and did as the recipe and Ree said,  frosted it with Cream Cheese Frosting.  I didn't go by the recipe for this. I used:

1 - 8 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1 lb. confectioners sugar
1/2 stick of butter, softened
1 ts of vanilla

Mix all of that until creamy and spread it on the cake.




Verdict??? A spice cake best describes this. You can not tell at all that there is tomato anything in this cake. It really does taste like spice cake. It was so easy to make, simple ingredients, not expensive and relatively low in fat.  It was VERY moist even without butter and oil!!! (sorry but 4 measily tablespoons of Shortening seems so small for how moist this was!!)
                                

I made this to take to work. I'm personally not a big spice cake fan. I LOVE anything pumpkin and pumpkin spices, but spice cakes are on my good list but not on my favorite list!  I do think this cake was good and I think I will get some unsuspecting people at work to try it. Of course I am going to be mean and not tell them what it is!!  Same goes when I make Mayonaise cake....everybody thinks it is the best cake they have ever had if they knew Mayo was in it, they probably would have never tried it! So it is best that I do not tell them what it is until after they have tried it!

Btw, forgive my photography. I'm using my small point-n-shoot and just haven't gotten the "food" taking skills down yet.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10